Promotional products are a widely used and accepted component most businesses marketing mix. If you need proof, think about the last exhibition or trade show you attended. It is highly likely that you went home with some branded promo products – probably in a branded carry bag too.
There is an incredible array of promotional products to choose from, ranging from low cost items such as pens and fridge magnets, through to calculators, watches, caps, shirts and water bottles.
Typically such products will be branded with your organisations logo and contact details. Depending on the individual item this could be printed, embroidered or engraved onto the giveaway. But are promotional products a valuable way of generating business, or a waste of your advertising dollar?
Key Benefits of Promotional Products
When considering why people give away promotional products, one key driver is a psychological one – the “principle of reciprocity”. Reciprocity means "a mutual exchange." As a principle of influence it can be described in simple terms as the good old "give and take" principle or “you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.”
When someone does something for us we typically feel obligated to do something for them in return. People love gifts, and they are more likely to consider and support your business if you have first demonstrated your generosity. So by passing out promo products you engender in your prospect a greater willingness to buy your product or service.
That’s great in theory, but what about the type of promotional product? For a promo item, to be effective, it must pass these 3 tests:
- Unique and creative – As branded promo products are not a new idea, to stand out from the crowd you need something that is creative and different from your competition.
- Visibility – One of the main reasons for handing out giveaways is to promote your business and your brand. The product you giveaway must be able to prominently display your logo and business info with high quality printing or laser engraving.
- Usefulness – Useful is the key attribute that determines whether the recipients will keep your promotional product or bin it. While caps, frisbees and T-shirts may be popular giveaways, they may not be useful or suitable for all clients and situations, and could end up in the rubbish. The gift you give should be relevant to the recipient and your organisation.
Choosing Effective Promotional Products
So how can you choose a product that is unique, useful and valued over the long term? One smart choice is a USB flash drive. Available in a wide range of styles, colours, shapes and storage capacities, they make great gifts for a number of reasons:
- The USB drive can be pre-loaded with product catalogues, videos, presentations, or anything you can think of to promote your business and brand.
- USB drives are used frequently to store, copy or transfer files. Each time the branded drive is used, your brand gets exposure.
- Most USB drives have ample space (sometimes in several positions) for your logo to be prominently printed or laser engraved.
Tips For Selecting USB Flash Drives
Not all USB flash drives are of equal quality. As with any promotional product it pays to be careful about how you source your items. Beware of buying from companies who may buy down to a price, ignoring important quality requirements.
One first step you should always take is to look for a reputable company with experience and a track record of supplying quality flash drives. Ideally the manufacturer should be ISO9000 certified. Check that only top grade memory components are used to ensure that the USB drives work optimally and reliably for a long time.
Posted: Tuesday 7 February 2012
Leave a comment
No messages found!
Leave a comment